The gcf of 88 and 36 is the largest positive integer that divides the numbers 88 and 36 without a remainder. Spelled out, it is the greatest common factor of 88 and 36. Here you can find the gcf of 88 and 36, along with a total of three methods for computing it.
What is the GCF of 88 and 36
If you just want to know what is the greatest common factor of 88 and 36, it is 4. Usually, this is written as
The gcf of 88 and 36 can be obtained like this:
- The factors of 88 are 88, 44, 22, 11, 8, 4, 2, 1.
- The factors of 36 are 36, 18, 12, 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- The common factors of 88 and 36 are 4, 2, 1, intersecting the two sets above.
- In the intersection factors of 88 ∩ factors of 36 the greatest element is 4.
- Therefore, the greatest common factor of 88 and 36 is 4.
Taking the above into account you also know how to find all the common factors of 88 and 36, not just the greatest. In the next section we show you how to calculate the gcf of eighty-eight and thirty-six by means of two more methods.
How to find the GCF of 88 and 36
The greatest common factor of 88 and 36 can be computed by using the least common multiple aka lcm of 88 and 36. This is the easiest approach:
Alternatively, the gcf of 88 and 36 can be found using the prime factorization of 88 and 36:
- The prime factorization of 88 is: 2 x 2 x 2 x 11
- The prime factorization of 36 is: 2 x 2 x 3 x 3
- The prime factors and multiplicities 88 and 36 have in common are: 2 x 2
- 2 x 2 is the gcf of 88 and 36
- gcf(88,36) = 4
In any case, the easiest way to compute the gcf of two numbers like 88 and 36 is by using our calculator below. Note that it can also compute the gcf of more than two numbers, separated by a comma. For example, enter 88,36. The calculation is conducted automatically.
Similar searched terms on our site also include:
Use of GCF of 88 and 36
What is the greatest common factor of 88 and 36 used for? Answer: It is helpful for reducing fractions like 88 / 36. Just divide the nominator as well as the denominator by the gcf (88,36) to reduce the fraction to lowest terms.
Properties of GCF of 88 and 36
The most important properties of the gcf(88,36) are:
- Commutative property: gcf(88,36) = gcf(36,88)
- Associative property: gcf(88,36,n) = gcf(gcf(36,88),n)
The associativity is particularly useful to get the gcf of three or more numbers; our calculator makes use of it.
To sum up, the gcf of 88 and 36 is 4. In common notation: gcf (88,36) = 4.
If you have been searching for gcf 88 and 36 or gcf 88 36 then you have come to the correct page, too. The same is the true if you typed gcf for 88 and 36 in your favorite search engine.
Note that you can find the greatest common factor of many integer pairs including eighty-eight / thirty-six by using the search form in the sidebar of this page.
Questions and comments related to the gcf of 88 and 36 are really appreciated. Use the form below or send us a mail to get in touch.
Please hit the sharing buttons if our article about the greatest common factor of 88 and 36 has been useful to you, and make sure to bookmark our site.
Thanks for your visit.